Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Asian Matchmaking

I think everyone who is asian would know what I am going to talk about. When Asian Mums and Asian Dads tell you to come over to one of his/her friend's house just for a chat, when in fact they want you to meet their friend's daughter/son. I'm not saying that it only occurs with asian parents, but just a lot more do it. Recently I have been forced brought along for one of these 'match-making' sessions, however, it definitely wouldn't be my first.....or my last...This time it was to share my pharmacy knowledge and books with some friend's daughter who had also recently started pharmacy at my university....

Its also funny how when I confront my parents about not wanting to just meet some daughter of a auntie of a close friend's cousin, and they ALWAYS, without fail, say to me "why not? an extra friend never hurts!". I mean seriously...how much would you know about this 'girl'? Maybe she's a drug dealer, or maybe shes running a black market for child sex slaves haha you get what the picture...Unfortunately, my parents do not. And until that day, when they finally realise that after that meeting, I am probably never going to speak or even see that 'nice girl' ever again, let alone ask her to be your girlfriend or to marry her, I will probably have to continue to suffer go on these match-making sessions.

I think this occurs with almost all asian parents, especially mine as they probably won't be too happy if I brought back a caucasian girl as a daughter-in-law. Even though they have said the little speech about "As long as you are happy" several times in my life, my mum has always been edging for an asian girlfriend, through subtle hints, such as "i'll teach your girlfriend how to cook and make chinese soup" and "if you find a guai lo girlfriend, how will i communicate with her??". Which sorts of guai lo do you see making chinese soup? As a result, I have suffered through many of these match-making sessions just so I could meet the nice asian girl that my parents always wanted. 

My parents also like to use the excuse of 'planning ahead' and say 'you never know, you guys could become really good friends, shes a really nice girl". Just like how even at the age of 16/17, my feet COULD grow and fit into that shoe that was bought purposely 2 sizes too big so I could have room to grow. haha Don't get me wrong I am not making fun of asian parents, and especially not mine (mum, dad I LOVE YOU!). Its just I find it funny how everyone of my asian friends have experienced this and none of us has met the girl/guy of our dreams yet...so maybe someone could announce it on skynews or today tonight here in australia and maybe then mums will finally give up on these so-called 'meeting new friends slash i want you to meet your future wife" sessions........

Signing Out,

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

3 comments:

Jz said...

I'd rather hit my head on the wall than doing that LOL

żħї~qїňg said...

it'll feel awkward, no? nice blog btw :)

BlehT said...

@jz hahaha I would too...except afterwards my mum would still drag me along or at least trick me by saying "come get something at the shops with me....OOPS how did I end up at my friends house? lets go in!" hahaha

@zhiqing thanks! :) very awkward..especially when my mums talking about all my 'good qualities' to the other auntie...

Post a Comment